Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

PopPop & Grandma's Travels

RIP Beau the Wonder Dog

Queensland Trip - February 2014

Tuesday 11 Feb, 2014.

Left home 10.50am and slowly wended our way up the Pacific Highway towards Coffs Harbour.

Stopped at a roadside rest area on the way for lunch, but didn’t stay for too long as it was a very warm day and we were keen to get back into the car's air-conditioning.

Finally arrived at Corindi Beach Caravan Park where we decided to stay for the night as we wanted a bit of peace and quiet overnight as most of the overnight rest areas are right on the edge of the highway and can be quite noisy, so we decided to pay for tonight.

The people next to us were ex-pats from PNG in a hired M/home that they were returning to Brisbane from Adelaide. It was one of these $1/day rentals where they give you 8 days to return the m/home to Brisbane. They were enjoying their trip immensely before having to head back to PNG to resume working. He is in charge of a catering business that employs hundreds of people. On this holiday they had bought an acreage in Burnie Tasmania and where travelling around before heading back. He will begin a FIFO (fly in fly out) system from home to PNG once they have a house built etc.

It's quite a lovely spot here and we had a lovely peaceful night with a great nights sleep.

Wednesday 12 Feb, 2014.

First things 1st
HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my lovely sister Sue, we hope you have a terrific day.

Up reasonably early and headed off for Caloundra having an uneventful trip.

We stopped at Yatala Pies on the Gold Coast and bought a heap of their beaut pies for dinner tonight. WE had them some time back and they had gone downhill a lot, but this time they were terrific.

Finally in Caloundra around 2pm and set up and waited for the kids to come home from school.

When they arrived they were so excited to see us it was fantastic. We sure do miss them heaps.

Had a great afternoon/evening with the girls and especially getting to know Hollie more.

Thursday 13 February, 2014

Were woken nice n early by both girls who are still very excited that we are here. Got up and had breakfast and then we drove them both to school and then cam home and just relaxed for the day.

That afternoon we picked them back up and had a great time with them again. I also gave them a heap of kids movies I had at home that they love to watch.

Friday 14th February, 2014.

Same thing again this morning as we were awoken nice and early by the girls and had some fun with them in the van and then had breakfast and took them to school.

We had a visitor in FatCat (Peter Cairnes) he had been up to Coolum visiting a friend so called in for a visit on his way back. Was great to catch up with him as well.

After FatCat left we just sat around till school was finished and then went and picked the girls up and brought them home. Again had a great time with them that afternoon/evening.

Saturday 15th February, 2014.

Grandma decided to take both girls shopping this morning, firstly to buy Mak's last birthday present as we had sent a cheque up for her but it had not been cashed etc, so Grandma decided she would go and buy her something she wanted and also Hollie got to get some small presents as well. They all had a fantastic time shopping with Grandma.

Once home they were so excited it wasn't funny, playing with their newly acquired treats.

We again had a great day evening with them enjoying their company.

Sunday 16th February, 2014.

Had a great day today, FatCat and his lady friend Kadie came up from Brisbane and we had a bbq with them, Nug's parents and his brother Victor.

We had a great afternoon and the kids really enjoyed all of our company.

One thing that we weren't used to is the amount of humidity in the air at this time of year.

We have decided that in future we will not be coming up this early in the year as the heat and humidity is just too much for us.

Monday 17th February, 2014.

Took the girls to school and then came home, packed up, locked the house up and then headed off in the can to Yandina Creek to see our friends Herb & Dors arriving there around 11.30am.

Again it was stinking hot with a heap of humidity in the air and we had the airconditioner going in the van all the time as we had to try and keep cool and get away from the high humidity.

Had a couple of great days with Herb & Dors, helped Dors out with their computer etc and just mainly sat around catching up on everything.

Wednesday 19th February, 2014.

Got up, organised ourselves and headed off for Ed & Ros's at Toowoomba. We decided to go via Gympie and then back down the inland road thru Kilkivan, Goomeri, Nanango,Yarraman, Cooyar, Crows Nest then to Toowoomba.

It was a really pleasant drive and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Better than driving on the major highways with all the traffic etc.

We arrived at Ed & Ros's around 2.30pm and had a great afternoon and evening with them.

Sunday 23rd February, 2014.

We spent a great 4 days having a terrific time with Ed & Ros and then headed off to Bingara arriving there around 2pm in the afternoon. Found a lovely spot right up the western end of the reserve and it was a terrific spot and we will definitely look to come back to this spot next time we are here.

Monday 24th February, 2014.

Up reasonably early, had breakfast got ready and then headed off at 7.50am for Wallabadah. We were going to stay for 2 nights here in Bingara but decided to head to Wallabadah instead as the trip on Tuesday will be a shorter run home for us instead of the approx 6 hour run from Bingara.

Had a pleasant run and stopped in Quirindi and got some lunch as well as bought some meat from Ron Robinson Butchers on the Wallabadah Road. If the meat is as tasty as it looks it will be fantastic.

Finally got to Wallabadah 11.30am and found a nice spot alongside the creek and settled in for the afternoon/night. Surprising at how many vans were already here when we got here. Some must be overstaying their 1 nights stay as they looked to be too well set up for such an early time in the day and we thought we were getting there rather early.

Had a great relaxing afternoon and then cooked our meat on the portable BBQ we bought and it was fantastic. Real melt in your mouth style stuff and super tasty. Will definitely be getting more meat from them in the future that's for sure. Can highly recommend them.

Had a rather early evening and went to bed pretty early ready to head for home tomorrow.

Tuesday 25th February, 2014.

Up early again had breakfast, packed up and head off at 7.45am for home. Had an uneventful trip down the highway and decided to go through the back roads thru Broke and then around Cessnock and over Mt Sugarloaf as we didn’t want to go thru all the roadworks again on the highway etc.

Ended up getting home at midday, packed the van away and started unpacking everything.

We had a fabulous 2 weeks away, and it was terrific to see the grandkids again and catch up with them and spend some time with them. Hollie is growing up so much now it's not funny, Makayla is turning into a real young lady and is growing up very fast as well..

We look forward to seeing them again soon and maybe they will come down and spend some time with us and catch up with all their cousins etc whilst down here.

Catch you out there,

PopPop, Grandma & of course Beau the Wonder Dog.