Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

PopPop & Grandma's Travels

RIP Beau the Wonder Dog

Bingara Easter 2016

Sunday 6th March 2016

Late in the afternoon on the 6th March we decided to head off for our Easter break at Bingara. Initially we had thought of leaving on the 7th but we decided to head off in the afternoon of the 6th.

Around 2.15pm we headed off with all intentions of staying overnight at Wallabadah Rest Area but upon arrival we found it it was rather full with vans etc so as we had plenty of daylight still we decided to push on to Currububula where we thought we could stay in the overnight Rest Area there.

Finally arrived at Currububula and it also had a vehicle there and the only other spot was very close to the road so as we still had plenty of daylight we decided to push on to Tamworth and check out the Rest Area at Attunga west of Tamworth.

Got to Attunga and it too had a heap of travellers in there so we decided to keep going and see how far we could get before stopping.

As it turned out we made it all the way to Bingara and arrived just on dusk. We were able to get our usual spot on the riverbank and quickly set up for the night and then had a good night's sleep before setting up fully tomorrow.

Catch you out there,

PopPop, Grandma & Beau the Wonder Dog

Monday 7th March 2016

We awoke to a glorious morning and set up our camp for our stay here.

There are quite a few other vans/motorhomes etc camped around the area and by the looks of things we were lucky to get our favourite spot.

Setup camp and just sat back and relaxed.

The weather was perfect but quite HOT with 36°C to 38°C during the day.

We just chilled out and followed the shade around ad tried to keep as cool as we could.

Catch you out there,

PopPop, Grandma & Beau the Wonder Dog

Tuesday 8th thru to Thursday 17th March 2016

We had a great relaxing time albeit it with the weather being super-hot day after day.

We kept ourselves cool by using our portable shower in our portable water tank and wetting ourselves down during the day and the sitting in the shade and allowing the slight breeze to cool us.

Grandma put a wet towel over Beau and he was content to lay down with this wet towel on him and keep cool that way.

On Thursday the 17th we had a visit from the Shire Ranger and he informed us that this area is now only 7day limit and said that he had to ask us to leave this spot. We told him that we were totally unaware that this area is restricted to 7 days and asked if it would be OK to camp on the other side of the river to which he said would be OK but then again we are subject to the 7 day limit.

We then asked where could we go as we had others coming up for the Easter break and he told us that there were spots on the Copeton Dam Road that we can stay at for as long as we would like.

We asked if it would be OK to go and check on some of the spots 1st and he said that would be fine.

So we went over and checked out some great spots and then came back, packed up and headed off over to the Northern side of town on the Old Keera Rd and found a great little spot right on the river which would had plenty of room for us all.

We set ourselves up right on the edge of the river and settled in.

Only one problem here is there a resident wild rooster which roosts in a Casuarina tree just down form our camp. There was a sign hanging from the tree stating :-

My Name is Rambo.

I am friendly.

Please feed me.

Naturally Grandma felt sorry for it and started feeding him.

Bloody thing would crow it’s head off early in the morning but I was awake by then so it didn’t bother me. Drove Grandma up the wall though.

Catch you out there,

PopPop, Grandma & Beau the Wonder Dog

Friday 18th thru to Sunday 20th March 2016

Awoke to another beautiful morning, set ourselves up fully today and just sat back, relaxed and waited for our friends Jan & Eugene from Bundaberg to arrive later in the afternoon.

There were threatening storm clouds on the horizon late in the afternoon and Eug & Jan ran straight into it near Warialda however we got a bit of rain but nothing to really worry us.

Finally, they arrived and setup behind us and we all then just relaxed and had a great evening chatting etc.

The next morning, we finished off setting up Eug & Jan’s camp and then just had a relaxing time over the next few days, trying to keep cool as the weather was still quite hot and keeping cool was our priority.

Rambo attacked Grandma a couple of times, once putting a puncture mark into the rear of her knee when he jumped up at her.

He also attacked Beau one day by jumping up and clawing onto his head causing him to yelp loudly.

Every time things like this happened I was away from camp at the Dump point emptying the toilet cassette or getting fresh water.

Another time we were transporting bottles of drinking water to under the awning when Rambo again went at Grandma and in doing so he hit one of the large heavy duty plastic drink bottles putting a nice puncture hole straight though the bottle causing the water to leak out.

He was a real mongrel of a thing and although we tried many times to catch him he was just too quick.

Everyone had a stick at the ready and I think this deterred him enough to finally start annoying other campers camped further away from us as he hardly came near us again.

Catch you out there,

PopPop, Grandma & Beau the Wonder Dog